While we most often talk about the benefits of CBD formulations for humans, today, we’ll be discussing the remarkable benefits of CBD and CBG to your dogs and cats. Hemp-based cannabinoids along with other natural, plant-based ingredients can help address anxiety issues in your pet, lower the risk of common illnesses, reduce inflammation, and pain, and promote overall health in digestion, muscular, joint, skin, and coat.
We should start, however, by stating confidently that CBD and CBG products are made from hemp, not marijuana, and only contain 0.3% or less THC, well below the toxicity level for pets, and will not have a psychoactive effect when consumed. CBD and CBG products are safe, come in several forms and provide benefits that no other pet medication can offer without side effects.
How Does it Work?
CBD and CBG work by interacting with your pet’s endocannabinoid system (ECS). That internal ECS consists of receptors located on cells throughout the body. Cannabinoids like CBD and CBG interact with the receptors to affect your pet’s body in a variety of ways. CBD products (oils, chews, sprays, and lotions)
- Ease stress and provide comfort
- promote appetite
- promote better mobility (arthritis and joint issues)
- ease digestion
- encourage sleep
CBD remedies and supplements for dogs and cats come in many forms, but which one is right for your pet is based on the specific need along with their weight and tolerance level to the ingredients.
Treats and chews: Treats and chews for dogs and cats typically have a lower concentration of CBD. Based on the weight and tolerance of your pet, you can adjust the dosage until the treatment is effective. At Kaya Hemp Co., we recommend the Holistapet brand for their formulations in both soft chews, and crunchy treats for calming, mobility, and joint pain.
Topical Creams, Spray, and Ointments: creams, ointments, and salves are used most often to address dog joint inflammation and other skin conditions, hemp topical creams can contain CBD and CBG along with other ingredients for the treatment of the following:
- Chapped Noses & Paws
- Wound Care
- Hot Spots
While creams and ointments promote healthy joints and skin for your dog, some ingredients used in these products can be toxic to cats so be aware of the consequences when choosing a CBD remedy for your cat.
Oils and Tinctures– Oils and tinctures are the most concentrated form of CBD for treatments and supplemental use in both cats and dogs. Some oils are formulated to be added to your pet’s food, while others are meant to be administered by mouth to a specific dosage. Though hemp-based pet products are considered safe, improper dosages can harm pets, causing diarrhea or worse. You should consult with your vet before adding CBG and CBD to your pet’s diet especially if they have any underlying health problems.
CBD or CBG: What’s the Difference?
Research has shown that Cannabinoids fall into two categories:
- Endocannabinoids are produced by the body
- Phytocannabinoids are produced in plants like hemp.
The most common phytocannabinoids used in pet products are cannabidiol (CBD) and cannabigerol (CBG). CBD interacts with the peripheral nervous system. CBG interacts with the peripheral and central nervous systems.
When considering the benefits of CBD and CBG, it’s important to understand how they each interact with your pet’s body. While the two cannabinoids have similar benefits, as we have already noted, they interact with the system in different ways. CBD reacts to muscles, limbs, skin, and immune systems while CBG can react to spinal cord and brand receptors. So, depending on the needs of your pet, the combination will vary, and you will likely need to test dosage and products.
- Benefits of CBD: Anticonvulsant Properties, Pain relief, Reduced anxiety and stress, Increased appetite
- Benefits of CBG: Brain communication cell support, Prevention of bacterial spread, Anti-nausea
- Benefits of CBD and CBG: Anti-inflammation, Anti-depressant, Muscle relaxation
Further CBG research on animals has shown some promising results in the following areas.
- Anti-bacterial agent
- Digestive health
- Bladder issues
- Mood enhancement
- Chronic pain relief
- Eye health (Glaucoma)
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Huntington’s disease
- Cancer (anti-tumoral properties)
- Appetite loss
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Cellular health support
- Digestive health
- Immune support
- Sleep deprivation
- Brain function and neuroprotective properties
- Joint & bone health
- Calming, relaxation, and mental alertness without drowsiness
When it comes to pets, we are proud to partner with the experts for CBD and CBG pet formulations and products. Holistapet provides natural, safe, and effective cannabinoids found in the hemp plant to bring a focus to the stability, balance, and equilibrium that your pet’s body is meant to have. With over 25 years of experience in the organic food industry, their research, education, and awareness provide us with the information and support we need in offering our customers the best hemp-based pet products.
More About Holistapet in their own words
- We believe that the combination of key superfood ingredients mixed with Cannabidiol (CBD) is the secret to your pet’s health and wellness.
- Our products are not just “weed for pets” nor are they “CBD for pets” either. All of our products contain unique superfood ingredients engineered into a specific formula to fit your dog’s condition.
- Our CBD Dog Treatsare made into 3 unique formulas: Heart & Immune Care, Joint & Mobility Care, and Stress & Anxiety Relief. We welcome you to try our natural remedies so you too can experience the power of Holistapet.
- All of our products are 3rd-party lab-tested and made with all-natural, organic, vegan superfood ingredients. They contain no dairy, animal products, refined sugars, additives, or preservatives.
So, when it comes to the health and wellness of your pet, it’s important to research the products, the ingredients or consult with your holistic vet to know which products are right for treating your dog or cat.
If you are interested in learning more, come visit us in the store or contact us online at Kaya Hemp Co.